An overview of family services offered is listed below.

Social workers are available to help people locate resources for rent, utilities and food as well as deal with other types of financial crises.

Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) is a federal food assistance program designed to help eligible low-income households buy the food they need for nutritional meals.

To apply there are several ways this can be done. You can apply on line at https://epass.nc.gov. An interview WILL need to be completed by a caseworker, but can be completed over the phone if you are unable to come into the office.

You can print an application on line at https://epass.nc.gov/citizenportal/application.do

You can submit a completed application via mail, fax, email, or drop it off in person at 1650 Greenfield Street.

Applications may also be requested to be mailed

For more information, please contact our Customer Care Team @ (910) 798-3500 option #4

The following verifications may be needed to complete your application, but to apply you only need some form of identification

  • Identification
  • Social Security Cards or numbers for all household members
  • Proof of residence: Lease, rent or mortgage receipts, utility bill
  • Proof of income: Pay stub, SSI, Social Security, Work First, Pensions, Child Support, or other income
  • Bank accounts: Recent bank statements
  • Rent/mortgage receipts
  • If a homeowner: A copy of your tax bill and homeowner’s insurance
  • If elderly/disables: Unpaid medical bills, prescriptions, health and hospital insurance
  • If employed or in school full time: Proof of child care costs

Income Guidelines

130% Max Income Limits
100% Max Income Limit
200% Categorical Eligibility Maximum Income Limit
Maximum Allotment
Effective 10/1/2021
Each Additional Member

Medicaid is a health insurance for adults and families whose income makes it difficult to pay for health care. It is a federally funded program governed by federal and state laws.

Eligibility for Medicaid is based on various income guidelines.
To receive Medicaid you must:

  • Be a US Citizen or qualified alien
  • Live in North Carolina
  • Have or have applied for a Social Security number

To apply there are several ways this can be done. You can, apply on line at https://epass.nc.gov. You can print an application on line at https://medicaid.ncdhhs.gov/medicaid/get-started/apply-for-medicaid-or-health-choice

Applications may also be requested to be mailed – face to face interviews are NOT required.

Information that may be requested to complete an application : 

  • Income verification for the household – earnings, Social Security, Veterans Benefits, Unemployment benefits, child support, etc.
  • Documents to verify each household member – birth certificates, social security cards
  • Paid or unpaid medical bills
  • Bank statements
  • Life insurance policy

Hours of Operation:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday – 7:30AM-5PM
Tuesdays – 7:30AM-6PM

For more information, please contact our Customer Care Team @ (910) 798-3500 – option #4


Medicaid Transformation

North Carolina Medicaid is changing to a Managed Care Model, and this Medicaid Transformation will change the way most people receive Medicaid Services. Learn more about Medicaid Transformation.

If you are a Medicaid beneficiary, you will likely be asked to choose a health plan and primary care provider by May 14, 2021. There are five plans to choose from, and assistance is available to help you choose the plan that is best for you.

To speak with someone to learn more and choose a Medicaid health plan, visit NCMedicaidPlans.gov, or call 1-833-870-5500 (TTY: 1-833-870-5588), between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., seven days a week.

You can also visit the New Hanover County Health and Human Services building at 1650 Greenfield Street during operating hours to speak with an NC Medicaid Transformation broker and learn more.

If you are a Medicaid provider, click here to view the Medicaid Provider Playbook.

Key Dates for Transitioning to Medicaid Managed Care

  • March 15, 2021 – Open Enrollment begins
  • May 14, 2021 – Open Enrollment ends
  • May 15, 2021 – Auto Enrollment for beneficiaries who have not selected a health plan
  • May 22, 2021 (approximate) – Transition of Care information is sent to each health plan for beneficiaries assigned to that health plan
  • July 1, 2021 – Medicaid Managed Care launch

Medicaid Transformation Factsheet: Do I Need to Choose a Health Plan?

North Carolina’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, called Work First, is based on the premise that parents have a responsibility to support themselves and their children.

The Work First Program promotes a strength-based, family – centered practice approach and shares in the mission of the NC Department of Health and Human Services in collaboration with its partners to protect the health and safety of all North Carolinians.

Work First provides parents with short-term training and other services to help them become employed and move toward self-sufficiency. Families in which grandparents and relatives are caring for their relative children and legal guardians can receive services and support that prevent children from unnecessarily entering the foster care system

Work First emphasizes three strategies: Diversion, Work and Retention

For more information, please contact our Customer Care Team @ (910) 798-3500 – option #4

Employment Services provides applicants/recipients of the Work First program assistance in developing plans and supportive services that will aid the families in becoming economically self-sufficient.

For more information, please contact our Customer Care Team @ (910) 798-3500 option #4

Social Services: 1650 Greenfield Street • Wilmington, NC 28401 • Phone 910-798-3500 • Fax 910-798-7824
Skip to content